Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Status of Things

I realized that, looking forward, I will not get a timely posting here until Thursday morning due to a busy schedule and no ability to post during the day.  That’s a long time to go, so I’m writing what I have in my head at the moment and posting it now while I wait for dinner to cook.  Tonight is, of course, my Tuesday night Pathfinder game (The Aldelle Group) and since my wife and I will miss next week (due to our Anniversary), we don’t want to miss out tonight.  Yes, I married a lovely woman who games.  You may be jealous if it makes you feel better.  ;-)

I’ve been working on the world descriptions for the starting sector for my Hero Traveller game.  I’m taking what Stars Without Numbers’ random sector generator spit out as a starter and embroidering from there, then tacking on Traveller’s planetary codes and naming the worlds.  It’s a bit slow as I mull each world over, but I can get 2-3 worlds done when I sit down to write for an hour or two.  Still, it’s a good thing I’m starting now as it will take me some time to generate the entire sector, let alone the neighboring sectors the PCs can easily get to.  The next sector I generate will use the sector generator from the MGP Traveller rules for comparison.

I want to post some of the material here, but I know several of the players read this (occasionally) and I don’t want to spoil anything, so I’m thinking of writing what the Pre-Crash blurb for each world would have read like and posting that.  I usually envision what the world was like prior to The Crash so I can develop how things went south after the Crash, so this may be a matter of just re-writing part of my entry and adding some additional color that is no longer true.  Should make for some interesting disinformation amongst the players: what’s still accurate and what has completely changed.

I’ve had an insight on my Southern Reaches game.  If I expect the PCs to make 15th level by the end of June and want them to build cool stuff, why am I being so stingy with experience points and treasure?  This is a habit from the old days that I think I’m going to jettison for a while.  I want the PCs to do cool things and achieve fame and wealth.  Time to stop GMing like I’m running a gritty, scrabble-for-your-wealth kind of game.  I’m not going to go all Monty Haul or anything, but wealth will be there to be had and big time monsters (with big time XP) are making appearances.

That’s it for now.  I’ll have time to type up one or two actual adventure logs tomorrow (Wednesday) and post them to appear Thursday and Friday mornings.  Later!

1 comment:

  1. Hooray for big monsters and big XP! Now if I can just get my hands on a Rod of Lordly Might I will be crazy happy! ;)

    ReplyDelete