Thursday, August 2, 2012

Chapter 7: War Comes to Speedwell - Status Update 3

It has been two weeks since the last time I got in some writing.  This was due to a combination of being busy and needing some downtime.  I finally spend a couple hours today writing (just before writing this).  I'm working on a large-ish combat scene and needing to work out the particulars of where things are and why there of all places.  This caused me to move the action from Warka to the outskirts of Lublin, which is a more reasonable location for what is about to happen.

Once I get the combat scene done, I have one more "news update" scene and the chapter should be complete, so next week is a likely time for that to happen, maybe the week after - depends on how long I get to write on Friday.

Word Count: 54,944 words

My outline for Chapter 8 is only six pages long, but I know I'm going to have to flesh those scenes out a good deal and probably add some new scenes to wrap up the first book.  I think I'm looking at a first draft of between 70,000 to 80,000 words.  Then I'll set it down a week or two and start diagramming out what I have and where I need to add "missing" scenes (scenes I didn't realize I needed until I was in the midst of writing).  Part of that will be expanding the number of corporate scenes to lay groundwork for events in the second novel.  Then the whole thing will need a thorough editing and I'll be willing to show it to people.

That's it for now.  Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment