Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Aldelle Group – Session 21 – Scouting the Barrow

This session happened Wednesday, April 6, 2011. This campaign used the Dyson’s Delve dungeon pages on A Character for Every Game as a starting point, but has now moved on to new material from the DM-in-training. I heartily recommend Dyson's Delve as a beginning adventure.

Adventuring Group:
Harkaitz of the Red Soul (male human cleric of Ra)
Wednesday (female elf rogue)
Sahar (female human fighter)
Tre-ba Bel a sheer (female elf alchemist)
Frankie Hu, Master of the Distracting Fist (male dwarf monk)

[Luna’s player was out due to a college astronomy lab. We moved to Wednesday from Tuesday as I and my wife (Tre-ba’s player) were away on our 12th wedding anniversary trip. As there is no easy way to remove Luna from the scene, she is considered to be guarding the camp with Short John. This is a bit more realistic than assuming she was lured away by pretty elf boys. Barely. ;-)]

Evening, April 10, Year of the Earth Rabbit
Praise Ra, for showing us the way.
Having tentatively identified the location of the gate (or at least the location of the drow), we set to scouting the area, looking for an alternate way into their barrow. The plan was for Frankie to stealthily scout an area 100 ft around the large clearing, moving in a counter-clockwise direction while Tre-Ba did the same while flying in a clockwise direction. The both move quickly and with the double-check, we should have found any nearby hidden entrances.

This is not how things went.

Frankie only made it a quarter of the way around when he ran into a drow patrol. Luckily Wednesday had given him a signal whistle, which he actually used immediately. In the past he has tried to deal with a situation on his own and got more injured for it. As the healer, I know. Anyways, he blew on the whistle and the rest of us moved into action. Frankie was able to hold his own for a short while before the drow’s poisoned arrows knocked him out. Again lucky, Frankie fell unconscious just as we started to arrive. Tre-ba was there first, flying at reckless speed directly across the 350 ft clearing. Due to this her bow fire was not very accurate. Sahar arrived next on foot and cut one of the drow down with her holy sword while Wednesday charged into combat with another drow. Eventually Aziz and I arrived.

Aziz and Sahar took down the next drow while Wednesday traded bow fire with him. I used our wand of cure serious wounds on Frankie [15 charges left] to heal his wounds, if not cure his poison-induced sleep. Tre-ba then swept in behind the last drow, grabbed him, and started flying up with him. Sahar and Aziz got into position incase the drow escaped and dropped back to the ground. This turned out to not be necessary. Tre-ba flew up as far as she could, holding onto the drow until she was 160 ft up – then she dropped him. The drow did not survive the fall. In fact, he splattered on Aziz and Sahar. A lot.

While we were waiting for Frankie to awake (with my healing assistance), Tre-ba quickly finished her scouting circle around the clearing. Sahar scouted the immediate area around the fight, but found no tracks. At this point Frankie awoke and checked the tree branches for tracks up there and found none, speculating that the drow’s soft shoes would not have left much of a mark on the hardwood branches. Tre-ba eventually returned, reporting no additional entrances. We then obscured our tracks back to camp so the drow could not backtrack us.  We are now planning our assault on the barrow mound itself.  Ra's will be done.

*End of Session*

[Short session as we did a lot of talking and I and my wife were a little late showing up (it took longer to fix dinner than planned). Plus, we wanted to wait until Luna was actually available again before entering the barrow and stopping here was a good place to do that. It didn’t work out that way, but that was our thinking.]

No comments:

Post a Comment