[You may also notice the session report is short on details. That’s because my notes were skimpy and I did this write-up a month later. Session 2 has similar issues, but we did a lot of discussion and planning in both sessions, which doesn’t require much transcription.]
Bookie – male elf alcoholic hacker, favors whiskey with a whiskey chaser
Murdoc – male elf kilt-wearing street mage, at home with the hobos
Prometheus – male human street samurai, handy with any firearm
The Fin – female human con artist and gambler from India, by way of Russia, posh and elegant
Sin – male human rigger, knows exactly the wrong thing to say and says it
Void – female human physical adept B&E specialist, a shadow that blends in easily
Killroy – male human street samurai, specializes in hand-to-hand combat (and apparently machineguns)
Wednesday, March 11, 2076
The Fin was contacted at 6:00 PM by Svetlana, a fixer she has a good relationship with. Svetlana had a job that she thought the Pleiades Group would fit. The Johnson wanted a virtual meeting at a VR bar, but checked out as legitimate by Svetlana. The Fin agreed to take the meeting.
Mr. Johnson turned out to be an orc, or at least appeared to be an orc in VR. [The Fin took it as read that the Johnson’s appearance was a mask and in no way matched his (or her) actual appearance.] The job was an Acquisition in Transit. A package was going from Point A, in Everett, to Point B, in Renton, and Mr. Johnson wanted the package diverted to Point C, in Belleview, with the original owners none-the-wiser as to where it went. Pay for the job was 30,000¥ with an additional 10,000¥ in expenses that would be reimbursed after the job completed successfully. The Fin attempted to negotiate a better rate, but Mr. Johnson was very good at that dance and gave up no extra money. The Fin accepted the job and received the full details of the job. She kept a neutral face and left the VR meeting graciously.
After the meeting, The Fin triggered a group message to the Pleiades Group that a job was on the table and to meet at the office. Once everyone arrived at the office, The Fin laid out the job: the group was being hired to steal a prototype weapon from Ares Macrocorp while it was in transit from a R&D facility in Everett to a testing facility on the far southeastern edge of Renton. There will be two chase cars full of security, plus some security in the delivery van (a Bulldog). The job is in 8 days, when the package moves. The group doesn’t know the exact route or time the package will be moved, but it has to be done because The Fin accepted the job.
After some grousing about the low pay for making an enemy of Ares, the group settled down to do some serious planning. Clearly Bookie needed to scout out the local Ares host so he can sleaze his way in and get the route and time the prototype will take from Everett to Renton. Bookie set to researching the host on the decker boards. [The GM never got back to him with the details, so this part happened during Session 2.]
After working out several different strategies to grab the package, the Group settled down on two different plans: a Sneak and Swap and a Smash and Grab. It was decided that the primary plan would be the Sneak and Swap, performed by Void with assistance from Sin and Murdoc. The backup plan would be the Smash and Grab, performed by Prometheus and Killroy. The rough outlines of the two plans were:
Plan 1: Sneak and Swap:
- Void jumps onto the transport while invisible (thanks to Murdoc) and deploys NeuroStun X inside to KO the security personnel.
- Sin takes over the driving remotely (possibly with Bookie’s assistance) while Void breaks in and swaps the target case with a dummy case (to delay discovery).
- Void sets GridGuide autopilot to have the vehicle drive itself the rest of the way and she discretely leaves the vehicle.
Plan 2: Smash and Grab
- Sin uses an anti-vehicular missile from a gun platform to take out the lead escort vehicle.
- Prometheus uses a harpoon gun to harpoon the transport with a line of milspec arrestor wire [the stuff that stops aircraft landing on aircraft carriers]. This will either jerk the truck to a sudden stop or slam it into a building, both scramble the security personnel inside well and good.
- Sin uses the gun platform to take out the trailing escort while Killroy cuts his way into the transport. Prometheus deals with any security threats from potential survivors from the escort vehicles using his Remington 950 sniper rifle loaded with APDS ammunition.
- Once inside, Killroy grabs the package, Prometheus grabs the gun platform, and everyone gets out of the area as fast as possible.
With these two plans sketched out, the group starts assembling a shopping list of gear they were going to need to get the job done.
End of Session
[So a lot of talking and planning this session. One of the plans we discarded involved a Chinook helicopter with a giant electromagnet dangling underneath to fly over and skyhook the transport. Very cinematic, but also very obvious and we’d still have to deal with the security inside, who would be broadcasting our location as long as they were able. We opted for simpler plans with fewer moving parts to reduce the number of things that could go wrong.]
[If we can pull off the job with the Sneak and Swap, I’ll be just as pleased as if I got to do the Smash and Grab, possibly happier. The quieter job fits in better with the Pleiades Group reputation, but if push comes to shove, we WILL get the job done.]
Session 2 [Not Yet Written]