Thursday, October 25, 2012

The Speedwell War - Draft 2 - Status Update 3-ish

OK, so the worst part about finishing a draft, but not having a complete draft (because, say, you've discovered you need to add scenes to make things flow better) is that you start getting hit really hard with Gamer ADD.

Getting back into the groove of regular writing when you are no longer telling the story but doing the work of writing to make it good can be difficult and distractions abound.  I'm having ideas about what campaign I want to run next year after I'm done writing this novel - except if I think on THAT, I'll never get the novel done.  NaNoWriMo is almost here and I'm thinking about writing the next novel as part of that.  I have an OK outline for the next book and most of the characters are ready to port over (those that live, that is).  How hard could it be?  (A death knell if there ever was one.)

So, I'm working on getting back in the groove.  The thing that's working for me is tackling one storyline at a time and follow them through to conclusion.  It also helps me remember where I was in the story and keep things consistent along each storyline.  It also helps me spot timeline discrepancies and fix them so each story works with the backdrop of everything else going on.  (Did I mention it's a complex story, made of multiple threads interwoven into one whole?  No?  I should have.)

So, writing achieved for this week.  Due to the switch in programs (from Word to Scrivener) the word count has gotten wonky, but I worked out a way to stay consistent going forward, so I'm good there.  Speaking of which:

Word Count: 64,357 words

So that's it for this week.  Thank you for keeping up so far.  Once I have a complete draft I'll be willing to let folks in general start reading the story.  I may even post it serially here, but I haven't decided yet.  I'm still working on getting a copy of the draft to my Mom - she read a version that was two-thirds done and told me to hurry up and finish so she could read the rest of the story.  Can't argue with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment